2015 gaming by the numbers
I love games. I also love data analysis! Combining these – you get some neat numerical analysis of my gaming habits and preferences in the past year. Enjoy!
Quick note – no expansion plays were tracked, only the base games counted.
- I played 64 different games a total of 521 times.
- The total number might seem impressive – it becomes a little less so when you consider that 55% of games I played had duration of 30 minutes or less, so not marathons by any stretch of imagination.
- I handily achieved the #51in15 challenge – even though I count King of Tokyo/New York and Ticket to Ride/Europe as same games – I still manage to play 62 games out of 51 I needed!
Most Played Games
- My Top 10 most played games were:
- Dungeon Roll (63 descents into the dungeon)
- Friday (53 times being stranded on an island)
- Lord of the Rings LCG (43 journeys across Middle Earth)
- Codenames (39 mind-bending spy games)
- Dixit (36 trips to land of imagination)
- Carcassonne (21 charmingly unfinished medieval countrysides)
- Space Hulk: Death Angel (20 missions bringing glory to the Emperor)
- Tokaido (19 treks from Kyoto to Edo)
- Sushi Go! (18 instances where I immediately craved sushi)
- Harbour (17 business ventures in a fantasy port)
- I managed to ace the 10×10 challenge, in fact I played 16 games 10 or more times.
- Exploring games I spent most time playing (# of plays x average playing time)
- Eldritch Horror (a total of 48 hours of saving the world)
- Lord of the Rings LCG (43 hours tossing rings into volcanoes)
- Friday (22 hours screaming “Wilson”)
- I played 34 new games that I haven’t tried before in 2015.
- I played these new games a total of 149 times.
- New Games I played most often:
- Codenames (39)
- Tokaido (19)
- Harbour (17)
- Patchwork (12)
- I played 8 games that I personally Kickstarted a total of 38 times
- Most played Kickstarter games:
- Harbour (17)
- Artifacts Inc (6)
- And then we held hands (6)
Looking at months:
- I played an average of 43 games per month in 2015.
- I played double that in December when I had some time off and just a bit over half that in May when I was running a Kickstarter.
- Dungeon Roll was the game I played the most four months in a row between July and September.
Looking at days:
- I played an average of 1.4 games per day in 2015
- I had 9 days where I played 6 or more games
- On two occasions in 2015 I played seven different games in a single day:
- Apr 3 – Friday, Dungeon Roll, Harbour, Sushi Go, Carcassonne, Dixit, Sheriff of Nottingham
- Dec 26 – Friday, Dungeon Roll, Tsuro, LOTR LCG, Resistance, Dixit, Tokaido
Numbers aside – I am supremely grateful for all the fun I had playing games, connecting with my friends and family or even going on solo adventures. That joy cannot be expressed by numbers :).
Curious about detailed data? It can be gleaned from my BGG profile. Wondering what my favourite games from 2015 were? Check out this list. More importantly – did any numbers jump out at you as particularly interesting? How did your year in gaming look like? I would love to hear from you!