Next-to-final Print and Play now available!
May 11 update: Thanks to our awesome testers we had over 170 games logged!
As of May 17, 2017 Unbroken is in a next-to-final testing phase to make sure the game works well and all elements of it are balanced. We are inviting everyone to create a Print and Play version of the current Unbroken prototype and share your experiences playing it. Read the instructions below on how to participate:
- Download this file (Full Game Print and Play) and cut out all the components. You should have:
- A Time Tracker, a Resource Tracker, an Effort Tracker, and a General Actions Sheet.
- 4 Character Sheets
- 24 Monster Sheets (6 Monsters for each of the 4 Levels)
- 23 Skill Cards
- 10 Condition Cards
- 88 Encounter Cards
- 7 Weapon Cards
The game went through a series of updates following the initial round of testing (started on Apr 17). If you already have a print and play version – you can keep all the Encounter cards as these remained the same. Encounter cards 84-88 are new and should be added to your deck. While updates on most cards were minor – I suggest you re-create the other components.
There is no need to mark the backs of the cards as there is not that many components to keep track of. Majority of card piles can be kept face-up.
In addition to the print-outs you will need small tokens that you can use to mark the amount of resources you have. You will need 16 of these tokens as well as a single 6-sided die. These are used as shown below:
- You can download the full game rules here. Read these through before you play, it is a fairly breezy read.
During the game, I suggest you refer to this flowchart to remind you of the flow of the game.
- Preparing for your first game. Set out the game components in the following way (detailed instructions on p3 of the rules):
- Conditions Deck (face up)
- Monster Deck (1 randomly selected Monster of each Level, face down, Level 1 on top, 4 on bottom)
- Skills Deck (face down) – this will only be used once per Level as you gain new Skills
- Encounter Deck (face down) – this will be used regularly. It’s the larger deck.
- Lay out the Time Tracker, General Actions Sheet, Effort Tracker, Resource Tracker, your selected Character Sheet and your Bare Hands Weapon as indicated. Place tokens to indicate your starting resources (13 Small Effort only on Medium – see p10 of rules for Easy/Hard mode setup).
- You will likely want to start playing on Easy to learn the game but the real game happens on Medium. We encourage you to play on whichever difficulty level you find most engaging. The revised version is tough even on Medium.
- It is absolutely crucial that you record your plays. Please use this form to record the result of each game. Recording your results ensures the data from your plays impacts the future state of the game.
- I would like to hear from testers as much as possible. Please send your impressions of the game to firstname.lastname@example.org . Or just say hi and introduce yourself! I will sometimes send update e-mails to the testers – if you’d like to receive these – please send an e-mail to the address above so that I could add you to the list.
- Alternatively – Unbroken is now on BoardGameGeek! Feel free to post your thoughts and ideas on the forum – would love to have some group discussion going there.
- I encourage you to share your experience and impressions about the game on social media as much as possible. While doing so please keep in mind that about half of the art used in the prototype is placeholder only (most of the monster art for levels 1-3 has been created specifically for Unbroken). If you do share your thoughts – please tag our social media channels.